Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Home is where the Heart is, and my Heart has just been broken.

My whole life, I've dreamed of one day living in the United States again.
I've felt somewhat displaced although the majority of my years have been spent in Canada.
America has always has it's flaws as any country does.
I never thought life there would be glorious or perfect.
I just always wanted to go home.

Circumstances in my life have not made this possible.

In recent events, I'm feeling even more displaced.
Saddened.
Disheartened for a Country who more than their self, their country loved and whom confirmed their souls in self control touting liberty in law.
Embarrassed for a Country who has always Boasted that they would crown their good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea.

This election has been a gross monstrosity of mockery to what everything America has stood for.
For everything I remember America being.
Both the Democrat and Republican parties should be ashamed of themselves.
Neither side has proven that they have the best interests of their citizens at heart.
Neither candidate was a great choice for America.
There was lying and bigotry on both sides, gross misconduct regarding women on both sides.
One candidate who was unashamed to voice his political and personal views no matter how demeaning and offensive they were.
Another candidate who flip flopped on values and views so many times I wasn't sure what her opinions in the end really were.

Where was the fight for Citizens in all of this?
Where were the promises that the candidates would fight for our rights?
That all citizens of the United States would be protected and valued - where was that promise in all of this?

America is supposed to be the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
I feel as though this has been a selfish narcissistic  battle for self touted glory.

For someone like me, this makes the world a very lonely place.
I feel as though I truly don't belong anywhere.
And that is a scary thought for someone in my position.

As a landed immigrant I am not a citizen of Canada.
I don't have the same rights as a citizen of Canada.
My solace of being able to live peacefully in Canada is based on the direct relationship Canada has with the United States.

I am concerned for the well being of my family and friends in the United States.
I am concerned for the well being of my family and friends in Canada.
I am concerned for the impact this election has for the relationship between two sister countries.

I do not think that this is a trivial time.
That we can blink and four years will have passed peacefully.
I think that it is a pivotal moment for the United States, for Canada, for the World.
I don't like to tout impending gloom and doom but I fear for the state of the world as we knew it.

Trump will not go Gently into the Night.
He will fight,

Today I cry for the America I remember.

Oh Say can you See
By the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed
At the twilights last gleaming
Who's broad stripes and bright stars
Through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watched
Were so gallantly streaming
And the rocket's red glare!
The bombs bursting in air!
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free
And the home of the brave.

I just wanted to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment